Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Lost in Translation...

So for one of my final projects in Chinese 2 I had to choose a pop song to translate from characters to pinyin and then into English. Although I knew this would be hard, I didn't know it would turn out like this! Doing this was when it really hit me how different our languages really are... Now I don't feel so bad when I see funny English translations! For your home enjoyment I have included the entire translation of one of my favorite songs in China that I have actually song at Karaoke numerous times. Ladies and Gentleman, straight from Taiwan...S.H.E.!



汉语2

马修 (Matthew)

10122008

CHINESE POP SONG TRANSLATION:

S.H.E. -- 谢谢你的温柔 (Thank you For Your Gentleness)

VERSE 1:

谢谢你 如此 温柔

Xièxie rúcĭ wēnróu

Thank you in this way gentle
捧着 静静 等候

pĕng zháo ài jìngjìng dĕnghòu

Holding love peace awaiting

我的 双手 其实 同样在 颤抖
de shuāngshŏu qíshí tóngyàng zài chàndŏu
My both hands actually the same way shaking


但我能 什么
Dàn wŏ néng geĭ shénme

But I can give you what?
我只是 一个他遗忘的

zhĭshì yíwàng de

I am just one he has forgot me

Xīn bèi sào ér kòng

Heart was entirely passed over leaving it empty

BRIDGE:


我会 在我心

huì zhòng zài xīn zhōng

I will hold your seed in my heart’s center

也许 某天 终于在 此长出一个梦

Yĕxŭ mŏutiān huì zhōngyú zài zhăng chū yīgè mèng

And maybe someday it will finish grown one dream

CHORUS:

飞轮海:不知道

Fēi lún hăi zhīdào

Don’t know
不明了

míngliào

Don’t understand
不想要

xiăngyào

Don’t want
为什么

Wèi shénme

Why
我的心

Wŏ de xīn

My heart
明明是 靠近

Míngmíng shì xiăng kàojìn

Obviously want to get close
孤单 黎明

Què gūdān dào límíng

But all alone arrive daybreak
知道

zhīdào

Don’t know
不明了

míngliào

Don’t understand
不想要

xiăngyào

Don’t want
为什么

Wèi shénme

Why


我的心

de xīn

My heart


那爱情的 绮丽

ài qíng de qĭlì

That love glory

是在 孤单

Zŏng shì zài gūdān

Always is alone within
我的 最好的爱

Zài de zuìhăo de ài gĕi

Again my best love give you

VERSE 2

谢谢你 如此 温柔

Xièxie rúcĭ wēnróu

Thank you in this way gentle


点着 笑容的 灯火

Diăn zhe xiàoróng de dēnghuŏ

Light smiling lights

温暖而不 打扰 我的寒冬

Zhī wēnnuăn ér dărăo wŏ de hándōng

Alone warm not disturb my cold winter

还没 决定 哪走

Háiméi juédìng wăng năzŏu

Not yet decide go where


才所以不能答应 你陪

Cái suŏyĭ bùnéng dāying péi

Therefore not able promise you accompany me

huì biàn chéng

Afraid you will change turn into me

REPEAT:

Bridge (1x)

Chorus (2x)

Verse 2 (1x)

For Your Convenience: Matthew’s Colloquial Translation:

Thank you for your gentleness

Holding your love, waiting peacefully

My hands are actually shaking…

But what can I give you?

I am just one that he has forgotten

My heart was completely passed over leaving me empty

BRIDGE

I will plant you in my heart

And maybe one day it will grow to be a dream

CHORUS

I don’t know

I don’t understand

I don’t want

Why does

My heart

I obviously want to get so close

But every morning I wake up alone.

I don’t know

I don’t understand

I don’t want

Why does

My heart

That glory of love

Is always alone inside

Again I give my best love to you

SECOND VERSE

Your bright smile

Is warm—but alone it cannot stop my cold winter

I haven’t decided where to go yet

Therefore I can’t promise you that you’ll go with me

I am afraid that you will turn into me




1 comments:

Leo Lee said...

Hey, dude, keep learning, don't forget the adage I left in the postcard! It's your homework!