Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Stuff Chinese People Like

Today was a good day. Yesterday, was not so good. Yesterday was a sick day. This was not just the every day kind of sick-- but the gut wrenching, head pounding, no energy, wake up at 4:30 am to run the bathroom kind of sick. What added to the normal traumas of a stomach bug was the fact that this was first time being really sick without a primary caregiver! Whenever I have traveled before, I have had group leaders or friends that buy me medicine, take care of me, etc. If I am in America anywhere, at least I can call my mom and she can talk me into feeling a little better! However, I managed to nurse myself back from my death-bed with a mixture of immodium, vitamin c, pepto bismol, Advil, and Chinese herbal medicines. (Mom, you would be really proud!)
So even without the regular maternal oversight, alas I have recovered...and this calls for some celebration. I went out today with a group of my Chinese friends to play ping pong and eat some Sichuan food. At some point during the night, I got this idea for my next blog post: Stuff Chinese People Like. I draw my inspiration from the blogs, "Stuff White People Like," and "Stuff Christians Like." So in a totally respectful way here is my list so far, intended to give you a cultural snapshot of where I am living and the friends I am making.


Stuff Chinese People Like:
  1. Ping-Pong. The constant domination of the Olympics should give us a hint on this one. I went to a Chinese ping-pong "hall" today and you wouldn't believe the things that I saw. Not only were all my friends who claimed they were "novices" absurdly good, the place was a like a house full of Chinese Forrest Gumps. Everyone was good! Beside us was a 6 year old boy who was returning ball after ball from his teacher...with his eyes closed! Dumbfounded, I looked around to see many young children who who would have wiped the floor with me! There was a girl who looked about 5 playing with an old man, and keeping up with him! Chinese definitely like ping-pong. (You better watch out when I get back!)
  2. History. Liked I mentioned before, most Chinese are very historically literate. Not only is history important to Chinese, it is interesting too-- the majority of Chinese sitcoms are actually stories from history.
  3. American Television. Basically what I mean when I say this is Prison Break. It is ridiculous the amount people talk about that show here. I don't know anyone that watches Prison Break in the states, but I don't know any of my Chinese friends that don't! Other popular shows include: Desperate Housewives, 24, Friends, Boston Legal, Lost. I know it seems like a random assortment, but they take their TV serious here! A clear sign is what people choose as their English Names. True Story: I have found myself hanging out with a Kim Bauer (24) and Micheal Scofield (Prison Break.) The unfortunate backlash of this fad is that most people perceive America through the lens of Hollywood. Therefore, all women are loose, sex is easy and plentiful, morals are nowhere to be found, everyone one is rich, and we all have extremely long and stressful days like Jack Bauer.
  4. Food. Chinese take their food seriously. There is serious cultural, regional, and historical meanings behind their dishes. With the exception of some Western Fast food, no other foods have really penetrated the Chinese palate. My friends are quick to tell me that Chinese food is their favorite, and that there is no real need to try other "ethnic foods." Chinese food is incredibly different that what you can find at your local "Hunnan Garden" type restaurant. The diversity is indeed incredible. All the different regions of China have their own distinct dishes and tastes. There is just to much to try, to little time! Don't worry, I am preparing a blog soon dedicated completely to my favorite foods that i have discovered.
  5. Karaoke. This relatively obscure activity in America is an absolute obsession here! It is hard to walk down any main road and miss the enormous KTV parlors. So I have to admit, I did go with a group of Chinese friends...and it was indeed awesome. The English selection was a little lacking, so most of the time we listened to the Chinese and tried to sing along with the characters we knew. I did get to sing "I want it that way" by the Backstreet Boys, and "In the end" by Linkin Park. Oh yeah, the karaoke was not in some open bar or lousy room, we had a private room with huge couches and refreshments on the 7th floor of the 10 floor Karaoke Heaven-on-earth. This was one of 3 on the block.
  6. Mai Dong Lao. One of the few exceptions to the Chinese culinary monopoly, is the lovely golden arches-- McDonald's. Because, Chinese is not phonetic (syllabic), you can't spell out new words. Instead, you have to combine existing sounds and characters to make it sound like what you want. So the Chinese word for McDonald's is "Mai Dong Lao." KFC is "Ken du ji." McDonald's are everywhere here! They are like Waffle houses in the south, or Dunkin Doughnuts in the north! This is not just your everyday fast food--this is a iconic symbol of the West and modernization. This is an upper class dining experience. This is where you would take your girlfriend on a nice date. This is where the upper class dine. This is McDonald's...and Chinese like it.
  7. Paying for the bill. Although it is customary for Americans to casually feign an argument over who will pay, here in China it can get violent! Even if you tell your friend that you want to take them out, they will pay for the bill before you know what happened! The Chinese are very sneaky in being hospitable and friendly. Last time we went out to eat as a group of Americans and Chinese we literally had to fight our way to the cashier to get there first! A trick we have learned now is excusing ourselves in the middle of dinner to pay the bill before they have a chance! Yeah Mayne!
  8. Being awesome. Well, I'm not sure if they consciously "like" being awesome, but its pretty much a fact that they are. It has taken some getting used to culturally, but over all I find the Chinese I have met to be friendly, caring, funny, hospitable, eager to learn, and brushed up on the latest Prison Break episode. Awesome for sure.
FOOD
I realize this is a minuscule observation of a vastly complex people, but I hope you enjoyed it for what it was.











KARAOKE



HISTORY

1 comments:

Pastor David said...

Hey Son!
Sorry you've been so sick! And you got thru it without Mom--wow!
Great observation about what the Chinese like. I saw glimpses of that the short time I was there. The Golden Arches being an upscale restaurant--who would have thought!
It's scary to think that there perception of us is based on primetime TV. No wonder they think we're weird.
It sounds like you're adjusting well. Everyone at the "family" asks about you and they are thinking of you.
Mom and I love you and miss you!