Friday, September 26, 2008

Same Kind Of Different As Ni*...


"Many of you came to China because it is mysterious, because it is different. It has always been the "exotic other" with a deep and dark history. I want to change this. I want to take China out of the shroud of mystery and let you see it for what it really is--China." This is how my Chinese Teacher opened his first lecture... To tell you the truth it bothered me a little a first. I WAS one of the those people! I even put on my application that China attracted me because of it's mysterious and exotic nature. He assured us that this was not necessarily the problem; the real problem was comparing China to any other place or presupposition. China is not older than America. China is not different than Europe. China is China. It it is with this revelation that I intend to enjoy and (attempt to) understand this beautiful and complex place.

For the purposes of this blog, however, I am going to do a some comparing--not to judge China though the lenses of America, but to more accurately paint a picture of the culture for those of you reading back home. Although I have somewhat internationally traveled, (9 countries in North+South America), nothing could have prepared me for the cultural windstorm that would meet me here in China. During my time in Hong Kong, I was not completely out of Western comfort zone- there were many conveniences available and the sound of English met me almost everywhere I went. For the past century, 2 centuries, Hong Kong as been isolated from mainstream Chinese culture. But I am here now--right in the middle of everything that makes China China. Although there are some differences between our cultures, I think you will soon realize how much in common we all really have...

The differences range from profound to superficial to just plain hilarious. On a more serious note, even the way they write/say their names here in China reveal something about this people. Here, your family name (surname) always goes first--only then followed by your first name. What's important here is your family, your group, your community. Identity is more collectivist. As you know this is a stark difference from the violently individualistic west that teaches the virtues of self-advancement, self-preservation, and self-worship. Although it would sound weird to introduce myself as Blanton Matthew, the Chinese have been doing this for thousands of years before the word "America" was even a twinkle in anyone's eye, so...yea...

Aside from this deeper issues concerning identity and community, there are some differences in simple daily practice. Chinese view the floor as incredibly dirty--anything that touches the floor is beyond redemption! I have watched people drop money and look at it with disgust before walking on. This is the reason why people don't wear shoes in the house. People here would view "The 5 second rule" as utterly barbaric--a practice held by savages.

At the risk of minimizing one of the greatest civilizations in the history of the world here are some other points that I have observed since being here:

  • The pace of life is different here, it is far more relaxed like most other countries.
  • I have only seen 2 forks since I have been in China (how do you spell chopstick master?)
  • Most girls hold hands with their good friends
  • History is incredibly important here-- it seems everyone is both knowledgeable and excited about their long history
  • Bikes are a big form of transportation in Xiamen (2 seaters and 3 seaters are popular)
  • Although many Americans would view "Chinese food" as one type, I am beginning to see the incredible culinary diversity here-- there are many regional restaurants in the city
  • In China, Mcdonalds is a symbol of modernization and luxury-- In America it is a symbol of frustrated teenagers and broken mc-flurry machines
  • The people I have met here so far are incredibly helpful, caring, and patient
  • Most University students have studied English for many years and are quite good! (Many are aghast that we don't learn Chinese-- the 2nd most spoken language in the world...)
  • Hair Salons are a huge deal and stay open till 11 p.m.
  • Everyone is very proud of their country, and very proud of the 08 Olympics
I'm sure I will think of many more as soon as I post this, but I just wanted to paint some kind of picture of the culture here. Our view of China as "other" or "foreign" has been reinforced through the years by our media and government. China has been painted as a rouge force in the world-- a nation of Godless commies who would invade America and eat our hearts out--the only reason this hasn't happen is they are too inept to do anything. I think many Americans would view China as a country with irreparable differences. They are just TOO different... Why don't we just stay on our sides of the world and try to avoid nuclear war?

Yes, there are some differences between our two nations--this is undeniable. I have included short list of things that I have observed just since being here. But I would like to share what else I have observed...

I saw a girlfriend and boyfriend walking together, hand in-hand. They almost ran in to me because they were lost in each other's eyes. I saw a mother playing with her adorable little daughter, showing her off to the neighbors. I saw a group of college guys playing basketball and having a great time taking time off from studying. I have seen laughter, frustration, love, anger, and a myriad of other emotions. Perhaps this shows my ignorance, but during my first week here in Xiamen, I was completely surprised at how similar everything seemed to me. Deep down, we are all the same people. We all want the same things. We all express the same emotions. We all laugh. We all bleed. We all sin. We all want purpose for our lives. We all search for love. We were all formed by the same Creator who had a desire to know and love us. In my friendships I have here I see myself and I see friends back home. Most importantly, I see them as the human beings they are. Perhaps I am minimizing the differences, perhaps I am being idealistic, or perhaps I am finally seeing through the artificially exaggerated gap between our cultures and realizing the depth of what we have in common.

Shakespeare explored a similar theme with a monologue from one of my favorite characters in all of literature.

I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
--Shylock (Merchant of Venice)

*Ni= You in Chinese





Some pics from the local Buddhist temple--Naputuo
















Park and I enjoying some of the local Xiamen delicacy--milk tea!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for the great reminder that when you strip us of everything that superficially separates us we are essentially the same. and how beautiful to think that despite the west's tentative feelings toward china christ loves us all the same and came to give his life for all.

on a less serious note - i wouldn't be shocked if you were drinking milk tea because of the totally bodacious babe on the cup and not because of its deliciousness. :)

and...if the floor is considered extremely dirty (which it is) then wouldn't it make more sense to keep your shoes on so that there is more of a barrier between the floor and your skin? or were you referring to the outside floor/ground and not the home floor?

i love you! momo is one month today! how was acupuncture?

Anonymous said...

ad History -- it seems everyone is knowledgeable
just try to ask them something more concrete, often you will listen general phrases like 'china was always defeating', than f.e. ask who was last one attacked vietnam - many will reply usa